The Brad and Alys Smith Outdoor Economic Development Collaborative is currently accepting applications for an (Hybrid) Grants and Research Coordinator.
About the Opportunity:
WVU’s Brad and Alys Smith Outdoor Economic Development Collaborative (Smith OEDC) leverages West Virginia's outdoor recreation assets to ignite the state's economy, develop world-class recreational infrastructure, and expand outdoor educational opportunities. Through education, research, community engagement, and asset development, we lead innovative programs and initiatives that strive to enhance the quality of life for current and future West Virginians and support the state’s economic prosperity. Through collaborative partnerships and alliances between West Virginia University, educators, state and local governments, the outdoor industry, and outdoor enthusiasts, the Smith OEDC works to advance the economy and improve wellness opportunities to make West Virginia the premier state to live, work, and play.
The primary purpose of the Grants and Research Coordinator is to advance the land-grant mission of West Virginia University by managing and providing centralized external funding development and administration to the Smith OEDC, StartUp WV, and WV communities through grants, proposal development- corporate sponsors and foundations, and creating reports. This position will report to the Director of Outdoor Community Development while supporting the efforts of StartUp WV and the Assistant Vice President of Economic Innovation. Specifically, this position will be tasked with the management, research, writing, and reporting of pertinent grant, foundation, and corporate sponsorship opportunities in the fields of outdoor recreation infrastructure, community development, public health, conservation, and economic development. This position will also be responsible for writing and editing development pieces for donors, prospects, along with government and corporate partnerships. Additionally, this position will support data analysis, topic research, along with the development and delivery of reports to advance the work of the office.
At WVU Research Corporation, we strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU Research Corporation offers a comprehensive benefits package with a variety of options to suit your needs.:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 403(b) retirement savings with a fully vested 3% employee contribution match, (Employees have the option of contributing an additional 1-3% of their earnings to the plan, which is also matched by the WVURC)
- A range of health insurance and other benefits
- Dependent Education Scholarship
- WVU Perks
- And More!!
What you’ll do:
- Identify and monitor funding opportunities in the areas of outdoor recreation infrastructure, community development, outdoor business development, workforce development, STEM education, youth development, public health, and economic development. Considering funding sources that would include, but not limited to, federal, state, private foundations, donors, corporate support, and other sources.
- Determine eligibility and coordinate the planning and preparation of proposals including preparing and compiling all components of each submission, ensuring that the proposal is formatted, packaged, and submitted in accordance with granting agency requirements.
- Create and maintain project budgets.
- Establish contacts and manage professional relationships with local and national funding opportunities, foundations, governmental agencies, community-based organizations, representatives of the private sector, and contract vendors.
- In coordination with the Office of Sponsored Programs and the OEDC’s budget manager, provide oversight of the financial aspects of grant operations including budget proposals, financial reporting, monthly reconciliation, and invoicing, and monitoring allowable expenditures.
- In coordination with the Office of Sponsored Program, monitor and coordinate the administration of post-award grants to ensure that budgeting and administrative policies, procedures, and agency requirements are being followed; manages administrative problems and/or budget changes occurring during the awarded granting period
- In coordination with StartupWV, identify and pursue funding opportunities that support economic development. Work with the StartupWV team to collaborate across the state on proposals.
- Prepare materials for submission for reimbursement to granting agencies, following agency requirements for format, content, and submission methods.
- Complete data analysis and topic research from proposal, presentation and report development and delivery. Develop and prepare reports and metrics for measuring program success.
- As needed, serve on committees, and attend professional conferences